This guide covers the engineering selection process, from resume review to turning over a candidate to HR for an offer.
At a high level, the process looks like this:
- We post a job ad for a limited period of time, and collect resumes.
- Resume review: we review and score resumes given our scoring guides.
- All resume scores handed back to HR, who review the cohort. Top candidates move on.
- Phone screen: an initial 30 minute phone screen - passing candidates move on.
- Pre-work: candidates will be asked to come to interviews with some position-specific pre-work (typically, code to show)
- Technical: pre-work review with technical interviewer
- Technical: questions from the position-specific tech interview guide.
- Core values: questions from the (shared) core values guide
- Combined (technical + core values) from a senior interview
- Interviewers submit written recommendations to the hiring manager. Hiring manager makes the final decision.
For more details, dive into the following documents:
Detailed process guide - read this if you need to "run" a hiring/selection process, or if you're a process nerd and want to know all the detailed steps from A-Z.
Resume review guides - read these if you need to review resumes:
Phone screen guide - read this if you're conducting phone screens
Pre-work - read this if you're assigning or reviewing pre-work:
Interview guides - read these if you're conducting an interview
How to check a reference - read this if you need to check a candidate's references.